Saturday, July 11, 2020

Houston- we have an H2O problem

Water- We need it. We are made of it, many of us hate the taste of it. I often joke that my marathon training always consisted of doing the best I can while eating everything in sight and drinking nothing but Diet Pepsi and Rum- and that really isn't that much of an exaggeration. I don't like water and have struggled over the years to drink enough of it. Summer in South Texas has become the one thing that really gets me to drink more water. There is just no way around it. Here are a few strategies I have used to drink more water and survive this summer on the Gulf Coast. You can call it the guide to drinking water for those of us that don't like drinking water.

Breakfast Water: I am a huge fan of making things habit. Things that we can make automatic we are more likely to do without questioning them because they become routine. With the COVID pandemic I've been working from home for the past four months and have started pouring a glass of water while making my oatmeal for breakfast. I usually drink this first glass and then eventually get another.

Two -Fisting: This strategy could alternately be called the water chaser strategy. I get a glass of water along with something I would rather drink as well and sip the water in between gulps of my preferred beverage. This has been especially effective for when after I work out and go for the Gatorade. admittedly sometimes I end up emptying an untouched glass of water at the end of the night but having some at hand at all times is at least going to make me more likely to drink it.

The switcheroo: I used to go for a walk and bring a can of Diet Pepsi  or have one while sitting on my recumbent bike simply out of habit. After thinking about opportunities to drink less soda and more water these were natural places to switch beverages where I really wasn't losing anything. As much as I love soda it goes flat when walking and in Texas heat I end up with warm flat soda on our evening walk.  For those who, like me, tend to grab another beverage all the time, is there a time when a switch to water might not impact you negatively or even improve your experience?

As much as I dislike water I cannot deny the benefits. I cannot count how many times I've been tired or sore and then realized that water brought me back to life. I will never be someone that drinks a ton of water daily but I can drink enough to support my lifestyle. If you have found additional strategies that help you drink more water I'd love to hear them.


No comments:

Post a Comment