Monday, November 28, 2016

My Tiny Town


My Tiny Town

I grew up
in a tiny town
set in a valley
Mountains all around
It had an old fort
and a paper mill
with one main street
that went downhill

You could tell even then
Its heyday had passed
the machines at the mill
weren't running as fast

The storefronts
They struggled
to keep up with the times
first huge stores
now people shopping online

A city was more
than mere miles away
the pace of life
was not the race of life
and the locals liked it that way

The grownups, they told us
about the good old days
and taught us kids
their old fashion ways

To other places
eventually I would roam
new adventures awaited
and a different town
I would call home

But sometimes I wish
That I would have hung around
punched in at the mill
and then settled down

Not under my feet
but always a little in my soul
I keep coming back as I grow old

And I smile with each visit
as the thread of my life
is unwound
As I greet my dear friend- my tiny town.

* A non-running post and not award winning materials for sure but occasionally I like to write a little bit, and this was inspired by my hometown

No comments:

Post a Comment